How do interacting global changes affect the dynamics and biodiversity of terrestrial ecosystems?
Ecosystem responses to climate changes:
- How are North America’s highest-elevation breeding birds affected by climate and biodiversity changes?
- How are climate and land use changes affecting treeline and forest ecotones in central Mexico’s volcanic arc?
- How have California desert plant communities changed over half a century? Nitrogen pollution and exotics: How does nitrogen deposition influence plant invasions that threaten endemic-rich California serpentine grasslands?
What are the implications for ecosystem stewardship of global, directional environmental changes?
Conservation practice: How can we effectively steward nature through climate change?
- What can we learn from past avian conservation translocations to guide decisions about future assisted range shifts?
- How can riparian restoration in California maximize benefits to coastal stream communities and their users?
- Adaptation planning: What can California’s agencies and land managers do with climate impact and vulnerability information to ensure effective ecosystem stewardship?
- How can we mitigate stressors in North American alpine ecosystems to increase their capacity to adapt to climate change?
- Ecosystem-based adaptation: How can ecosystem-based adaptation enhance societal resilience to climate change?
How do species losses affect the dynamics of wild ecosystems?
Ecosystem multifunctionality: How does biodiversity change influence multiple ecological processes at multiple scales?
Community disassembly: How is species’ vulnerability linked to their ecological roles through traits?
Anticipating species responses: Why are California valley oaks in decline, and what can they teach us about species conservation in a changing climate?
Extending policy: Can the Endangered Species Act address nitrogen deposition as a threat to biodiversity?
Climate change and ecosystem services: How does sea level rise affect the ability of Pacific estuaries to buffer coastal nitrogen pollution?
Biodiversity and ecosystem services: How do remnant forests sustain rural livelihoods in southwestern Ethiopia?
Species widowhood and taxon substitution: Can mutualists survive the loss of their obligate partners?
The Coyote Ridge biodiversity experiment: How do realistic and random species losses affect serpentine grassland ecosystems?
The Jasper Ridge Global Change Experiment: How do climate change (warming and increased precipitation), elevated CO2, and nitrogen deposition interact in their effects on California grassland diversity and functioning?
Ecosystem service valuation: What are the economic costs of tolerating tamarisk invasion in the U. S. Southwest?
Conservation philanthropy: How can the funding of conservation science be improved?
Island restoration: What are the effects of invasive animals and their eradication on island ecosystems?
Grassland restoration: Can seeding with key native species effectively reduce new exotic invasions in California grasslands?